Imagine, if you will, a life without any management or direction. With absolute freedom and no restriction, there will be no method to gain a desirable outcome. The end result? A life in utter chaos. Whether it comes to how you handle business in the office or the structure used for getting kids ready for school every morning, there is a need for management in every aspect of life. The same holds true when it comes to content management.
Let’s look at an example. If you decide to prepare your favorite meal for dinner, there are a few steps you will have to follow to make it happen. For instance, you will have to go to the grocery store to gather the ingredients. From there, you will prepare them by chopping, dicing, and measuring. Next comes the cooking or baking. Only when it is complete can you sit down to a delicious dinner. Skipping a step or not following the recipe in its entirety can leave you with an altered finished product. And, it may leave a bad taste in your mouth – literally. In other words, each and every step is necessary.
When it comes to content management, it is very important that you also have a set process – or recipe – to follow that will allow you to implement the best strategy for your needs. The clear organization of the steps you will take to reach your goal, such as doing your research, delegating necessary tasks, integrating different people and positions, etc. Disregarding or overlooking any one of the steps will leave you with a content management process that is less than par – and will not likely yield the results you are looking for.
Content management defined.
Before we move any further, it is a good idea to give some meaning as to what content management actually is. Content management is the process in which you collect and organize data, prepare it, strategize for its effectiveness, and uncover the most efficient process to publish it regularly to the outlet – or outlets – of your choice.
More informally, it is the process you use to stream proper and engaging content so that it reaches your desired audience successfully in all channels you are willing to produce this content for.
Your current content management process.
Do you currently have a content management process that you follow? If so, how do you know if it is working efficiently or if it is the best choice for your needs? While each company in each industry will have a specific goal in mind, overall you know you need a content management process that will:
- Do research to determine who you are trying to reach – who your ideal buyer is.
- Discover how you should best be able to reach your audience. Most marketers prefer more than one method.
- Brainstorm ideas for capturing and engaging your ideal client.
- Determine who is going to handle each step of the way. Content marketing is a huge fete so delegating tasks will be the best way to meet your deadlines.
- Follow through with the delivery of the content and ensure that it gets delivered to the proper party.
- Calculate the results of your marketing efforts. Did your content reach the right audience? Was there a CTA? If so, what percentage clicked it?
Content marketing requires a very detailed process. There are usually multiple people involved in the brainstorming, creation, delivery, and follow up. Without a proper procedure in place, it is likely that you will not be able to view the entire scope of your campaigns successfully.
The importance of a streamlined content management process.
You know how important content management is to effective marketing and the success of your business. After all, that is why you work so hard to implement the necessary steps. But, how streamlined is your process? Do you find that you can easily see the results of your campaigns? Do you know exactly what is taking place and by who at each step along the way?
From the generation of ideas to the creation and delivery of content, you need to be able to step in and see what is happening. By streamlining your content management process, you will have designated steps (just like that recipe we talked about) that are followed. Along the way, roles are assigned and, as each step is created and approved, it moves through the pipeline on to the next person.
A streamlined content management process means that your work will never get lost, become stagnant, or not know where to go next. And that is how you meet your campaign deadlines effectively.
5 tips to streamline your content management process
Take some time to look at how you currently manage your content. What changes can you make that will allow you to streamline the process? Consider these 5 tips:
1. Organize. This includes organizing your research efforts, ideas, focus, desired outcomes, etc.
2. Utilize your entire team. Perhaps you are used to only having a couple of employees handle the content marketing because it would otherwise be too messy. To effectively streamline the process and be sure you are heading the right way, you will want to integrate your entire team. They are there – use them.
3. Delegate. Once you decide to utilize all your resources, you will have to learn to delegate. Give each member of your team an assigned role and designated step in the overall process. This is an essential step in streamlining.
4. Invest in the proper software. Having a software program can be an effective tool for managing the content management process. Choosing the right one means you are able to come together as a team to share ideas and move through the delivery process with clean, concise steps. Each role clearly designed and the ability to not move forward until the current step is checked – and approved. This ensures that you are getting the best content delivered where you need it.
5. Follow up. You cannot just create content, send it out, and never look back. You must follow up and determine the results of your marketing efforts. You can use a watchful eye and do this tail-end research on your own. Or, again, with the technology today, the right software program can give you these results in an instant with handy insights on how you can make things even better.
The watchful eye of content management.
It is important to remember that even if you have the most effective content management process imaginable, your process still requires more than simply managing content.
Sure, managing your content properly is incredibly important. But, if your content is not giving you the results you need, then it is not going to benefit you to keep pursuing the same process.
That is why you have to have a holistic eye over the entire content management process. This will allow you to monitor where your efforts and resources are being focused at any step along the way. And, especially with the end result.
The content management process requires you to be analytical. You need to monitor your campaigns and make sure that they are yielding the results you desire. And, of course, you should always be seeking to make your marketing campaigns even better.
By viewing your content management process as closely connected parts that function as a whole and leave you with a measurable outcome, you can ensure that your marketing efforts are right where you need them to be every time.
Are you ready for your content marketing to soar?
If you are ready to see the heights to which your business can travel with a streamlined content management process, then it is time to take the leap for the software program that can take you there.
Imagine a simple place to:
- Map out your content strategy by determining your buyer’s persona and describe your sales funnel. Do this using your own voice.
- Gather a team with the skills you need and assign them the appropriate roles.
- Effectively create and manage an editorial calendar. Come up with content ideas, schedule them for production, and end with their publication. Never miss another deadline.
- Create high-quality, well-designed content to engage your potential buyer. Using the skills of each team member can lead to an overall stellar finished product.
- Measure and analyze the results of your marketing efforts. The end results of campaigns can help you decide to tweak your efforts starting at the beginning of the pipeline. This will ensure that you are always distributing your content directly where it needs to go — and when.
Follow the proper content methodology and exceed your expectations for content management. How? With the content marketing platform from Contentools. Remember, for effective and efficient content marketing, you need a streamlined process. And, the best way to obtain that is through a dedicated software program.
Are you ready to manage and measure your content better than ever before? Focus your resources where they are meant to be and watch your content management flow with precision and ease. Request a free demo today and talk to one of our specialists to see how our platform can help you unleash your full marketing potential.